Work · Fulfillment · Fun
Topanga: Creative and Magical
Located in the middle of the rustic Topanga Canyon between Santa Monica and Woodland Hills, our charming wood cabin is rich in music history and is surrounded by beautiful California evergreen oak trees. There are mountain bike trails all around us so you can ride day and night to your heart's content.
People are drawn to us by our welcoming culture and creative energy. We focus on user experience and have created an uniquely relaxing environment for everyone.
Work: Fast-Paced and Rewarding
We are a destination shop for quality mountain bikes, adventure touring bikes, bikepacking gear, and handcrafted leather goods. We have built a long-standing business and good reputation based on honesty, transparency, and inclusive community.
Our shop is small but we have a broad consumer base with lots of repeat customers who keep us busy. It's a rewarding experience knowing that our customers trust us and many have become close friends of the shop.
We encourage you to apply for open positions below and be a part of our team.
Job Title: Head Bicycle Mechanic
Availability: Full time or part time
Pay: Competitive compensation
We're looking for a dynamic individual for this position. The ideal candidate will help develop and maintain a unique retail experience at Topanga Creek Outpost. The candidate will run the bicycle service department while helping achieve sales through the development of new products and events, as well as customer engagement in a destination-based retail environment. The candidate will also help contribute to social media content on a regular basis. Being detail oriented, having a good attitude, and being a team player are a must. An outdoor enthusiast with an adventurous spirit is a great fit for the shop.
We are fortunate to have had many accolades under our belt. The ideal candidate will help to maintain our shop image and be a brand champion for the shop.
- Mechanic: Ideal candidate must have experiences working with all types of bicycles and custom builds. It ranges from simple bike assembly to Surly Ogre with SON/Rohloff combo and fun project like custom Waterford with electronic XTR Di2 components. Job requires being proficient at bleeding brakes, suspension service and wheel building. The service stream at the shop is steady so it is required that the mechanic has a knowledge of how to properly perform a tune-up and have an order of operations for doing so in a reasonable amount of time. There will be new bikes that arrive at the shop to be built out of the box. The candidate must be able to properly quote a customer for a custom build and execute the custom build with follow-through. The candidate must also help to repair and maintain the demo fleet of bikes so that the bikes look clean and function perfectly every time they are sent out. The candidate must deal with bicycles brands directly and handle warranties, returns, credits, and mechanical issues with ease.
- Day to Day Retail Operations: Have a clear understanding of how a small bicycle shop operates day to day. The candidate should know how to open and close the shop. The candidate will also share the duties of properly displaying the bikes in the morning, facing the store, and keeping the shop clean inside and out. Candidate should be comfortable working with the Lightspeed operating system or be adaptable to learn the system. The candidate should have basic knowledge of how purchase orders are created and received. Knowledge of inventory management is also desirable.
- Holistic Shop Needs: The shop is very diverse but also small so the ideal candidate for this position will wear multiple hats while on duty. Many responsibilities are shared and they range from keeping the shop clean to occasionally help making lunch for the whole crew. The shop environment is very user experience focused so it's import to not only provide excellent customer service, but also be mindful of the entire customer experience the moment they walk into the door.
- Social Media: The candidate should help generate social media content for the shop by working closely with the social media person. It is important that this person be a great brand ambassador for the shop. Building and maintaining relationships with other bicycle shops and brands around the country is an essential part of the job. This helps bring unique products to the shop from others and also helps brand awareness for the business.
- Events: The candidate will be required to attend some bicycle industry events such as private brand industry events, Interbike, Eurobike, and Sea Otter Classic. UnPredict Your Wednesday is an activity that helps to engage new and existing customers of Topanga Creek. These events often happen Tuesday night into mid-day Wednesday and are camping or bikepacking related. The candidate should be flexible with a non-traditional schedule and attend some of these events. Also, events are held at the shop some Saturday evenings or weekends for group camping trips, dinners, movie nights, or presentations. Also, races have been a fun part of the shop for some time and a few races are attended throughout the year. Again, these events are some of the best ways to engage our existing shop family but also encourage new riders to join.
- Rogue Journeymen: The candidate should help to establish the brand.
Topanga Creek Outpost was started as a creative outlet and continues to operate this way. The most important aspect to this job is maintaining a good quality of life while still being creative and running a successful business. It is good to be a self-starter and try out new ideas or solutions for the changing retail world.
How to Apply
Please tell us why you're interested in this position and email it to us along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. We look forward to talking with you!
About Topanga Creek Outpost
Topanga Creek Outpost is a destination bicycle shop and adventure store in Topanga, California, a canyon community on the outskirt of Los Angeles surrounded by Topanga State Park and in the heart of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. We focus heavily on customer experience, relationship building and unique products. There are two bicycle repair stands under an oak tree outside by the creek and Adirondack chairs are abound in the same outdoor space. We do a weekly Saturday morning shop mountain bike ride and regular bikepacking trips. It is our goal to create an ideal work environment for those who love the outdoors and are engaged in what we enjoy.
Recognized as an avid bike touring, bikepacking and mountain bike shop in Southern California, we go on micro adventures weekly and cherish a quality of life. We are fortunate to have been awarded America's Best Bike Shops 4 times, The Top Mountain Bike Pro Shop in the U.S. by Bicycle Retailer, California Small Business of the Year, and 2017 Bicycle Retailer Innovation Award. Click here to learn more about us.
In the same spirit of loving all things outdoors and adventurous, in 2015 we founded Rogue Journeymen, a brand that was born out of our creative energy. We handcraft leather goods right from the same shop space and produce belts, journal covers, guitar straps, aprons and more. The ideal candidate will embrace the development of the brand and help to drive all marketing efforts to promote Rogue Journeymen.