Available positions at the Outpost
Job Title: Manager/Mechanic/Journeyman
Start date: May, 2017
About Topanga Creek Outpost
Topanga Creek Outpost is a destination bicycle and adventure store in Topanga, California, a canyon community on the outskirt of Los Angeles surrounded by Topanga State Park and in the heart of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. We focus heavily on customer experience, relationship building and unique products. There are two bicycle repair stands under an oak trees outside by the creek and Adirondack chairs are abound in the same outdoor space. We do a weekly Saturday morning shop mountain bike ride and regular bikepacking trips. It is our goal to create an ideal work environment for those who love the outdoors and are engaged in what we enjoy.
Recognized as an avid bike touring, bikepacking and mountain bike shop in Southern California, we go on micro adventures weekly and cherish the quality of life. In doing so we are fortunate to have been awarded America's Best Bike Shops 3 years in a row, The Top Mountain Bike Pro Shop in the U.S. by Bicycle Retailer, and California Small Business of the Year. Click here to learn more about us.
In the same spirit of loving all things outdoors and adventurous, in 2015 we founded Rogue Journeymen, a brand that was born out of our creative energy. We handcraft leather goods right from the same shop space and produce belts, journal covers, mug holders, camera straps and more. The ideal candidate will embrace the development of the brand and help to drive all marketing efforts to promote Rogue Journeymen.
The ideal candidate for this position will help develop and maintain a unique retail experience at Topanga Creek Outpost. The candidate will help run the service department and bicycle portion of the business while helping achieve sales through the development of new products, events, and engaging customers in a destination based retail environment. Driving new business (both TCO and Rogue Journeymen) to the shop and maintaining an existing customer base is of utmost importance in this role while facing the challenges a small business encounters during the age of the internet.
- Mechanic: The ideal candidate for this position should be well trained in how to work on all kinds of bicycles from a simple kids bike to a complicated $10k mountain bike. Job requires being proficient at bleeding brakes, suspension service and wheel building. The service stream at the shop is steady so it is required that the mechanic has a knowledge of how to properly preform a tune up and have an order of operations for doing so in a reasonable amount of time. There will be new bikes that arrive at the shop and will need to be built out of the box, and also bikes that need to be boxed and shipped. Being able to properly quote a customer for a custom build and executing a custom build. The candidate must also help to repair and maintain the demo fleet of bikes so that the bikes look clean and function perfectly every time they are sent out. The candidate must deal with bicycles brands directly and handle warranties, returns, credits, and mechanical issues with ease.
- Day to Day Retail Operations: Have a clear understanding of how a small bicycle shop operates day to day. The candidate should know how to open the shop when arriving in the morning. Including, bringing all of the bicycles outside and properly displaying them, facing the store, refolding clothes, neatening displays and keeping the shop clean inside and out.
- Inventory: Be comfortable working with the Lightspeed operating system. The ideal candidate should know how purchase orders are created and received as inventory arrives at the store. Every item must have a label created for it or a stamped hang tag to display from the item. In Lightspeed every item needs to be categorized with the correct manufacturer, cost, MSRP, department, etc. Online inventory management is also key for keeping an accurate account of what the store actually has in stock and how many of the items are actually listed for sale on the webstore. It is crucial to keep track of what is being sold and making sure that it gets properly shipped out in a timely fashion. Sale bikes also need to be updated on the website from closeouts for various manufacturers as well as an up to date list of what rentals are in current circulation.
- Holistic Shop Needs: This is the most important aspect of the candidate. No task at the Outpost is too large or small. Never feel that any responsibility is "not your job". It could be something like cleaning the bathroom, refolding clothes, tie dying shirts, gardening, building displays, or cooking food. The shop is very diverse but also is a small shop so the ideal candidate for this position can wear many hats. It is crucial for customers to feel comfortable and welcome when visiting the Outpost. Upon arriving, customers should be greeted and asked if they would like a tour of the shop. Walking a new customer through the shop and highlighting the store can help point out unique items and potentially make a new sale. Topanga is located in a fairly remote part of town, so most of the cooking and cleaning are shared tasks. Every customer that rents or purchases a bicycle receives a hand written thank you card as well.
- Events: The candidate will be required to attend some bicycle industry events such as private brand industry events, Interbike, Eurobike, and Sea Otter Classic. UnPredict Your Wednesday is an event that has been developing for three years and is a great way of engaging new and existing customers of Topanga Creek. These events often happen Tuesday night into mid-day Wednesday and are camping or bikepacking related. The candidate should be flexible with a non-traditional schedule and attend some of these events. Also, events are held at the shop some Saturday evenings or weekends for group camping trips, dinners, movie nights, or presentations. Also, races have been a fun part of the shop for some time and a few races are attended throughout the year. Again, these events are some of the best ways to engage our existing shop family but also encourage new riders to join.
- Social Media: The candidate should help generate social media content for the shop. It is important that this person be a great brand ambassador for the shop. Building and maintaining relationships with other bicycle shops and brands around the country is an essential part of the job. This helps bring unique products to the shop from others and also helps brand awareness for the business.
- Rogue Journeymen: The candidate should help to establish the brand by telling the story and be entangled in many aspects of it.
Topanga Creek Outpost was started as a creative outlet and continues to operate this way. The most important aspect to this job is maintaining a good quality of life while still being creative and running a successful business. It is good to be a self-starter and try out new ideas or solutions for the changing retail world.
How to Apply
Please tell us why you're interested in this position and email it to us along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to talking with you!