A versatile hardtail mountain bike
Originally designed as a 29er (and the frame that helped spark the 29” wheel movement), the latest Karate Monkey is also designed to perform just as admirably as a 27.5+ rig. This allows you to pick your poison - provided your poison is having a really great time while permanently donning a shit-eating grin, of course.
The Karate Monkey features updated, progressive trail geometry, Surly's custom trumpet tubeset, and Surly's Gnot-Boost rear dropout system. Available in a variety of colors, with multiple drivetrain and wheel size configurations.
The Karate Monkey Front Suspension bike features a Rock Shox 35 Gold RL A2 suspension fork with 140mm travel, and it's paired with a dropper post out the box. Progressive trail geometry and Surly's Gnot-Boost rear dropout system deliver a versatile bike with the ability to swap hubs and wheel sizes. If you want to round-house kick some trail right in the face, the Karate Monkey is your sled.
Price and Availability
For bicycles and frames that are on sale or on special promotion, visit the Sales and Specials page.
Surly Karate Monkey features and specs:
- 100% Surly Chromoly steel frame and fork (fully rigid option); double-butted main triangle and 44mm headtube
- The tubeset uses the same trumpet tubes found on Instigator 2.0 frame for greater stiffness and durability
- Adjustable rear dropouts with 145mm Gnot-Boost spacing. Works with 142, 148 12mm thru, as well as 135mm w/ 10/12 washer
- Available RockShox 35 Gold RL A2 suspension fork with 140mm travel
- Available TranzX YSP15 dropper post with stealth routing; 100mm travel on XS, 120mm travel on SM-XL
- Internal dropper seatpost routing with 30.9mm seat tube ID
- Clearance for 29 x 2.55" or 27.5 x 3" tires