The most iconic bike from Surly
Unfortunately, the Cross-Check has been discontinued by Surly as of 2023.
As a designated Surly Destination Shop we have lot of experience with Surly products and we particularly love the Surly Cross-Check. It had been around since Surly's early beginnings and if you were looking for an all-around-do-everything bike this was the top choice to consider.
To start, the Cross-Check frame was manufactured out of 4130 CroMoly steel. To ensure rigidity, the main triangle was double-butted which means the tubing has a thicker wall at the ends and is thinner in the middle to reduce weight. The advantages of steel are its superior ride quality so the rider will experience less fatigue after a long ride.
Price and availability
For current inventory, pricing, and promotions on bicycles and frames, visit the Sales and Inventory page.
Surly Cross-Check features and specs:
The Surly Cross-Check is a cross bike by design, with a strong utilitarian appeal. Comfortable, versatile, and tough as nails, the Flat Bar Cross Check gives customers even more value and utility straight out the box.
- 100% Surly Chromoly frame, main triangle is double-butted; 1-1/8" threadless brazed Chromoly fork
- Bosses front and rear for cantilever or linear-pull brakes, rack and fender eyelets at the dropouts, dual water bottle mounts, eyelets at the crown, and fully threaded through-blade fork eyelets for a front rack
- Semi-horizontal dropouts with a derailleur hanger for geared or single-speed drivetrains and/or wheelbase adjustability
- Clearance to run 700c x 42mm tires with or without fenders
- Works with all single, double, and triple road or mountain cranksets
Need more braking power? Go with the Straggler
While the standard rim-brake Cross-Check does a good job when it comes to stopping, the Surly Straggler has a very similar geometry to the Cross-Check and offers additional braking power when needed especially in wet and muddy conditions. People have always asked for a disc version of the Cross-Check and this is Surly's answer to that. Straggler also shares all of the Cross-Check's braze-ons for fenders, racks and bottle cages so it remains just as versatile.